Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude bitbang devices patch

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude bitbang devices patch
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 23:37:04 +0200

As Michael Holzt wrote:

> > That would be cool.  I'm not sure (didn't look at their patch
> > yet), but somehow it appears they've solved the libusb integration
> > before me.  So I wasted a bit of time because I had to re-do it
> > for the JTAG ICE mkII connectivity.

> I guess that mean, that both drivers should probably be changed to
> share some common code?

Maybe, I'm not sure.  After all, there's not much magic behind libusb
once you've got some sample code.  OTOH, maybe they already got it
running under Win32?  (There's a libusb port to Win32, but I've heard
differing opinions about its quality, and no first-hand opinions at
all.)  It would be cool if the AVRDUDE in the next WinAVR (scheduled
to happen anytime soon) could support the mkII not only on a serial
connection but also on USB.  FreeBSD and Linux seem to work well using
libusb.  (Alas, I didn't make that much progress for AVaRICE as the
matter is much more complicated there.)

> The author of AVRasp was so kind to send me his old prototype as a
> gift, so i will try to maintain the AVRasp code. I do not have the
> board yet, but it should arrive shortly.

Time to pester Brian to grant you commit access to avrdude? ;-)