Re: [avrdude-dev] Release schedule?

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Release schedule?
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:11:54 +0100

On Sunday 14 December 2003 20:09, Michael Mayer wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 00:27:24 -0500, Brian Dean wrote:

> > Yes, I had mentioned that with all the relatively nice changes
> > that went in, we should do a release soon.  But with WinAVR
> > release being pushed back, I don't see any great rush to get out
> > a new release. When it's ready, it's ready - I'm fine with
> > sometime in January if that works for others.
>
> The recent changes are major improvements in functionality and
> speed, IMHO big enough to justify a fresh release 4.3.0. Later,

Yeah, this changes are quite valuable ;-)

> after additional cleanups and polishing, a (maybe even better?)
> release 4.3.1 may follow - nothing gets lost and nobody will get
> hurd due to an ealier release date.

Agreed.

> > I think we should continue to polish the
> > recent changes and cleanups in progress and go ahead and work in
> > any of the new features that have been discussed recently like
> > part autodetection and being able to set the baud rate from the
> > command line.

I agree on autodetection (I have read the code ;-).

The baudrate-config patch is already done and will go in. IMHO a
commandline parameter is not good; we already have too much to
specify at the commandline.

> At least the autodetection will need more time as the actual
> structure is far away from something I would call "pretty code" ;-)
> It is only a quick hack, don't wait for this for this release.
> Things will be getting better after the proposed code cleanups.

Agreed.

> IMHO it is better to present a useful (but unperfect) release now
> and a (maybe) perfect one later than staying with 4.2.0 for a long
> time and just release the (maybe) perfect one later.

As I (hopefully) have said before, I also like the idea of a release
*before* the *big* cleanup. With changes that big it may take some
time before the code is as well-behaving and well-tested as before...
I'm merely using the time we have due to the broken server to do some
discussion, so we can start coding as soon as the release is done.

However, I think that January is fine. I don't expect the server to be
fully operational within the next few days. Then there is Christmas
and New Year's Eve. I will most certainly not do any commit between
December 21st and January 3rd ;-)

/Jan-Hinnerk