Re: [avrdude-dev] Mingw build

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Mingw build
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:45:17 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

:) It should be #ifdef'ed then, in the sense of
:)
:) #ifdef HAVE_READLINE
:)     blah blah readline();
:) #else /* !HAVE_READLINE */
:)     doo fgets();
:) #endif
:)
:) That way, you can decide at configure time whether you want readline
:) included or not.  I love the comfort of recalling previous lines, but
:) under the usual opensource unixes, we get that for no cost since the
:) readline library is already there.  (This might already change when
:) going to e. g. Solaris.)  OTOH, the purpose is really only to obtain a
:) line of input from the user, so fgets() should suffice.  IIRC, the
:) fgets() version could even be found somewhere in the CVS history,
:) since this was Brian's fist cut in the implementation of "terminal
:) mode".
:)
:) configure should be able to detect the {pre,ab}sence of readline
:) itself.

It already does:

# Checks for libraries.
AC_CHECK_LIB([termcap], [tputs])
AC_CHECK_LIB([readline], [readline])

Which generates this on my system:

checking for tputs in -ltermcap... yes
checking for readline in -lreadline... yes

I'll have a patch shortly to fix the term.c file...

Ted