Re: [avrdude-dev] Mingw build

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Mingw build
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:14:55 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> > You can as well get away without readline, and just use fgets() if you
> > desire.  You only use the functionality to recall previous input lines
> > in terminal mode.  Don't know, readline also requires curses under
> > Unix (and with Cygwin).
>
> If one can "just use fgets()" instead of readline, any thoughts on
> eventually (not now) doing just that in the mainline code?

It should be #ifdef'ed then, in the sense of

#ifdef HAVE_READLINE
    blah blah readline();
#else /* !HAVE_READLINE */
    doo fgets();
#endif

That way, you can decide at configure time whether you want readline
included or not.  I love the comfort of recalling previous lines, but
under the usual opensource unixes, we get that for no cost since the
readline library is already there.  (This might already change when
going to e. g. Solaris.)  OTOH, the purpose is really only to obtain a
line of input from the user, so fgets() should suffice.  IIRC, the
fgets() version could even be found somewhere in the CVS history,
since this was Brian's fist cut in the implementation of "terminal
mode".

configure should be able to detect the {pre,ab}sence of readline
itself.