Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] New usage text

From: eric
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] New usage text
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:07:37 -0700

I'm writing this from home, sorry about the thread breakage.

Joerg wrote:
"Eric, please don't change an fprintf(stderr, ...) into
a printf().  usage() output is supposed to go to stderr.  That way,
if e. g. someone redirects his stdout into a log file (or even to
/dev/null aka. NUL:), he'll still see that message. "

That sounds like a contradiction. If someone redirects their stdout they
*won't* see the usage text. I ran into exactly the same problem. If I
did:
avrdude -? > tempfile
then I won't see the usage. I would had to do:
avrdude -? 2> tempfile

This doesn't make sense to me. As I understand it, stderr is for stuff
like error messages. I would think that usage text is not an error
message but acceptable output for stdout.

And besides, I was also modeling it after uisp which does a printf (to
stdout).
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/uisp/uisp/src/Main.C>

Eric

P.S. Over the weekend if you can CC to address@hidden that would be