Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] New usage text

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] New usage text
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:59:24 +0100

As Brian Dean wrote:

> >  {
> > -  fprintf(stderr,

> > +   printf(
> > +           "Usage: %s [options]\n"

> I hate to broach this topic, especially since I know that everyone has
> their own preferred formatting style, etc.  But I respectfully ask
> that we keep the original style with regard to indentation, etc.

[Agreed]

Also, while i already sent my agreement to the new usage() to Eric
privately, Eric, please don't change an fprintf(stderr, ...) into
a printf().  usage() output is supposed to go to stderr.  That way,
if e. g. someone redirects his stdout into a log file (or even to
/dev/null aka. NUL:), he'll still see that message.  Remember, even
Windows users now can redirect their stderr. ;-) (Assuming WinNT or
later, with the old blow-up MS-DOS versions, you're in the rain.
But they are obsolete anyway...)