Re: [avrdude-dev] Yet another config parameter

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Yet another config parameter
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:14:45 -0700

On 21 Feb 2003 at 11:56, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> I think this is a pitfall of having a configure file. You will always
> have to deal with the potential of screwing up someone config file,
> either buy blowing it away, or by changing the format. There's no easy
> way around this.

I know this isn't *nix-centric but.... If you have 1 file per [device
| programmer] and all config files in a central config subdir, then
it's relatively easy to detect conflicts at install time.

> Also, ideally, you would want people to contribute config
> info not in the dist back. Having a local config file, makes that less
> likely (for some people).

I agree. And really, if the avrdude project will continue to expand
and maintain a database, how often will people define their own Atmel
device? It's like when a new device comes out and avr-libc has to
support it. Most often the early bird submits a new io*.h file to avr-
libc and it gets rolled in. Voila, everybody has it.

And there are a limited number of people who will be defining their
own programmer. If we create one system-wide file with no overrides,
then when the next version of avrdude pounds some custom settings it
definitely encourages the user to submit their programmer
configuration to the project. (Obviously, *warn* the unsuspecting
luser that customization will be lost upon install.)

Eric