Re: [avrdude-dev] Yet another config parameter

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Yet another config parameter
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:55:55 -0700

On 20 Feb 2003 at 16:16, Brian Dean wrote:

> I think you are right.  I see about a 3 times speedup when using the
> STK-500 over the direct parallel port under FreeBSD.  I know that the
> STK-500 is just doing what the parallel port code is doing, only
> faster, so there is plenty of room for speed-up in the direct parallel
> port case.  However, I don't really have the time to write a
> driver/module for FreeBSD to provide faster access than what the ppi
> interface can.  The other option would be to twiddle the I/O registers
> directly like Eric is doing for the Windows port, but that would
> require installing avrdude setuid root in order to gain access to
> them.

I'm also considering a major change to the Windows ppi. Currently I
have to use this giveio driver in conjunction with avrdude to access
the serial ports.

I did some looking around and I believe I found Win32 API calls that
I can use to access the parallel port, i.e. going through the Windows
kernel. IIRC, cygwin comes with a bunch of Windows headers and it can
link into Windows dlls. This route would be more in line with the
*nix ppi stuff. If my theory holds true, I might be able to drop the
giveio stuff.

Eric