Re: [avrdude-dev] make depend

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] make depend
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:33:29 -0500

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 03:24:31PM -0800, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> Yes, gnumake does support conditionals, but of course, the syntax is
> not compatible.
>
>       if ($(wildcard .depend),.depend)
>       include .depend
>       endif
>
> Fun, no?

Ugh.  Well - we could (cringe) have a Makefile for Linux, one for
FreeBSD, and possibly one for Cygwin.  But if you were looking toward
autoconf/automake anyway, maybe that's the answer.  I must admit that
I've never looked under the hood of autoconf/make so I don't know
what's involved in gettting that working.  Is it overly complex for
something as simple as avrdude?

If need be, I'll just punt and use gmake on FreeBSD.  Lots of other
ports depend on it too so unless someone is installing avrdude on a
minimal system, chances are its already there anyway.  My main problem
is that I can't seem to train my fingers to type gmake instead of
make.

But if autoconf/automake will solve other problems, then of course,
I'd like to stick with native make on FreeBSD - assuming this is
something you are willing to take on.

-Brian