Re: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Licensing issue

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Licensing issue
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:14:59 -0700

On 27 Feb 2004 at 9:22, Kim Sparrow wrote:

> address@hidden wrote:
>
> > IANAL, but I have attached a text that I think satisfies at least the
> > spirit of all the licenses (but I have not done a text comparison of all
> > the conditions and disclaimers). Also the disclaimer text of the
> > University of CA files are rolled into the general "copyright holder"
> > disclaimer text.
>
> I've got a couple questions on putting this into actual practice.
>
> In the instance that the software that uses avr-libc is embedded in a
> device, and this device is sold as a complete unit (i.e. we never sell
> the software individually), where would this acknowledgement go? As a
> part of the product literature?

IANAL, but that is my interpretation of it. If there is a User Manual that is
shipped with the product / device, that would be a good place to display the
copyrights / credits.

> In the instance that we issue a software update, does an acknowledgement
> also need to be distributed with the update file(s)?

I wouldn't necessarily think so. A software update is predicated on the fact
that the customer already has the device with accompanying User Manual that has
the credits. If the User Manual is updated, I would also guess that that would
be a good time to make sure that the copyright / credits are updated as well.

> Thanks for the advice. I'd rather not have our company turn into a Nokia
> and ignore the license ;) Fairly soon I may ask our legal guy about
> following the spirit rather than the letter of the licenses, and I'll
> get back with that advice if he can help clarify the situation. (I'm no
> good with these legal issues!)

Again, IANAL, and the above are just my opinion. I'm sure the other developers
will have opinions on this too.

HTH