Re: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Licensing issue

From: Kim Sparrow
Subject: Re: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Licensing issue
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:22:57 -0800

address@hidden wrote:

> IANAL, but I have attached a text that I think satisfies at least the
> spirit of all the licenses (but I have not done a text comparison of all
> the conditions and disclaimers). Also the disclaimer text of the
> University of CA files are rolled into the general "copyright holder"
> disclaimer text.

I've got a couple questions on putting this into actual practice.

In the instance that the software that uses avr-libc is embedded in a
device, and this device is sold as a complete unit (i.e. we never sell
the software individually), where would this acknowledgement go? As a
part of the product literature?

In the instance that we issue a software update, does an acknowledgement
also need to be distributed with the update file(s)?

Thanks for the advice. I'd rather not have our company turn into a Nokia
and ignore the license ;) Fairly soon I may ask our legal guy about
following the spirit rather than the letter of the licenses, and I'll
get back with that advice if he can help clarify the situation. (I'm no
good with these legal issues!)

Regards,
Kim Sparrow