RE: [avr-libc-dev] Licensing issue

From: j_bastian
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Licensing issue
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:57:16 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Joerg Wunsch [mailto:address@hidden

>> I would like to have a single text that would cover the entire
>> library, so that I would not have to trace down exactly what files are
>> used in each project, whatever gets linked in is covered. Ideally it
>> also would be concise and not take 20 pages to print.
>
>The problem is, even if I'll eventually finish that mini-project to provide a
>single boiled-down >version of all the individual copyright notices, legally,
>you're bound to what the individual files >do state. After all, avr-libc might
>be a nice project, but it's not a legal entity, so there's no >other option
>for all the developers than putting their name on top of the file, and copy
>another >copyright statement right over there.

The problem is not really the copyrights, I think that all the developers
deserve to be acknowledged for all the great things that they have done. The
problem is the inconsistency in the licenses.

After thinking about this for a while, I might be able to come up with
something. I'll post it when I get it ready and see if you think it is OK.
(Maybe it can be my first contribution to the project :) )

Thanks for listening

Jerry Bastian