Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: circ dep fix

From: Theodore Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: circ dep fix
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:25:30 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

:) As Theodore A. Roth wrote:
:)
:) > Looks good. Two nits though:
:) >
:) > - The pdf file isn't installed. Should be easy to fix.
:)
:) Hmm, i'll look into this.  So far, i didn't try installing it. :)
:)
:) Hmm, i thought the Makefiles would respect ${DESTDIR}?
:)
:) env DESTDIR=/tmp ./domake install
:)

<snip>

:) I'll see whether i can fix this.  This would allow me to install into
:) a test hierarchy as a regular user.

There's nothing to fix. Just don't use the do* scripts. I personally only
use the reconf script, then manually run configure as such (from obj-avr
subdir):

  $ cd obj-avr; ../configure --prefix=$HOME/local/libc-test

Then a `make install` puts it in $HOME/local/libc-test. If the build
system is set up right, you should also be able to do this (which I've
seen a lot in rpm spec files):

  $ cd obj-avr; ../configure --prefix=/usr
  $ make
  $ make prefix=$HOME/local/test-libc install

If that doesn't work, there's something to fix. I'm not sure if that's
another gmake'ism though.

I know this is all a pain in the butt right now, but once we get it all
proper tweaked, it will be a thing of beauty. Ok, maybe that's a bit too
mushy, but it should make life easier for everyone building from the
source.

Ted Roth