Re: [avr-gcc-list] >4.5.1 better than this at register-structure (xmega)

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] >4.5.1 better than this at register-structure (xmega) access?
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 21:24:08 +0000

Johann is being pedantic. Atmel has their own set of patches, i.e. it *is* a
private port, because those patches aren't fully submitted upstream yet.

> So, I guess I'll ask again: where do I actually get TODAY's toolchain?
> I keep reading about how Atmel takes forever to release the patches to
> the toolchain they ship, yet they now seem to be the "only" official
> toolchain, and nobody else appears to be actually maintaining patches
> separately.  Unless the GCC core is actually being kept up now and
> nobody bothered to mention it, but I just downloaded 4.7.2 and found the
> exact same set of parts missing.

I'm working on getting Atmel's patches upstream.

But specifically to your problem: I've had a latent concern about the xmega
register definitions via structure layout. My concern is that the compiler
would do exactly as you describe and always try to do an address/offset type of
access to registers.

But as you said: Does it do that with recent versions? I'm afraid that no one
yet knows.

Eric Weddington