RE: [avr-gcc-list] AVRDude serial access problem under WinXP

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] AVRDude serial access problem under WinXP
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 08:32:16 -0600

Looking in ser_win32.c, at the implementation of ser_open(), I see that it
does not print a message of
"ser_open():failed Access Denied"
The "failed Access Denied" part of the message must be printed from the OS.

The ser_open() function (for win32) has 5 possible failure modes, and all of
them call exit(1), instead of returning to the calling function. I find it
odd that somehow using stk500v2 magically solves the problem. ser_open() is
used to open the serial port, which comes before any protocol data exchange.

There must be other things going on here.

Eric