Re: [avr-gcc-list] Documentation on avrdude

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Documentation on avrdude
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:09:34 +0100 (MET)

Juergen Harms <address@hidden> wrote:

> The example in avr-libc-user-manual-1.4.5/using_avrprog.html calls
> avrdude with:

>      avrdude -p 2313 -e -m flash -i main.hex

Oops, please file a documentation bug report to the avr-libc project.
This describes an old and now completely obsolete form of avrdude.

> 2. the info on the -U option is difficult to read in the man-page if
> you use konqueror for reading man-pages (but no problem if one uses
> man): the first part of the -U line simply does not get shown, the
> line starts with :opt:filename (I guess a bug in konqueror or a flaw
> in the troff code of the avrdude man-page - very weird, but painful
> when you desperately search for what might have replaced the -m
> option).

Someone with Konqueror (you? ;-) has to analyze that if you want it to
be fixed.  I'm not going to install a Konqueror and/or KDE on my
machine just for that...

> 3. for a newby it is not evident which programmer-ID to use (I went
> back to the avrdude.conf file to get names, but also the flavour of
> STK500 to select was not quite evident).

Well, you can select an invalid programmer (say, "-c help" for
example) to get a list of all programmer types.

> 4. the serial port to use is also not immediately evident (and the
> STK500 user guide only says 115200 baud, does not say that the
> default N1 is OK).

Sure, what else?  I don't think anyone even remotely thinks about
anything else but N1 communication channels in that respect.  Also,
you normally simply don't have to touch that, as it typically defaults
to either the only supported or the most useful one.

> - check whether the -U man-page problem can be corrected in the
> source of the avrdude man-page.

See above.

> - drop the remaining reference to the -m option in the avrdude man-page.

Worth another bug report...  I'll try to remember it but it might be
hard without the report.

> - correct and augment the documentation on calling avrdude in the
>    "Using avrdude" document of the AVR-libc documentation:
>
>      o reflect that -m does not exist any more
>
>      o add some words on the -P option, maybe give a list of ports used
>        on the main platforms,
>
>      o add some words on the -c option and provide a commented list
>        on programmer IDs of the major programmers.

I'd be more than glad if you could not only write the bug report but
also submit a patch for that.  You don't necessarily have to install
doxygen unless you want to look at the result yourself.

> - might be a good idea to mention that stty 115200 is all you need to
>    set up your com port on Linux if you use the STK500.

You don't need to do *anything*.  avrdude does that for you.