Re: [avr-gcc-list] Kindness and respect.

From: Jeff Barlow
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Kindness and respect.
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:02:23 -0800

"Jim Davis" <address@hidden>  wrote:

>I was feeling a bit slapped, because tone does not transmit
>via email.. only words.  terse words are easily
>misunderstood.

And thus, it is the reader's task to study those words carefully
and not simply latch on to the first interpretation that occurs
to him.

>RTFM is not terse, its rude.

On the contrary, it is the standard reply to someone who has just
asked the number one FAQ. Many would claim that you were rude.
The traditional list / news group protocol is to lurk for a while
and read the FAQ's before asking silly questions. Keep in mind
that this is an all volunteer community list, not tech support
provided by paid staffers.

Telling you to RTFM is far more polite and helpful than what you
got from most of the rest of us. I, for example, read your
question, and simply ignored you. I thought to myself: 'there's
another clueless noob who failed to RTFM, and jumped in here with
the classic 'my code doesn't work, the compiler must be broken'
story.  Anyone who has lurked on this list for a while has seen
'the volatile thing' pass by about a hundred times.

>I did read the manual, and
>would like to kick myself for not understanding it right away.  Once clarity
>comes it can be so obvious.

There's no need for self abuse. This is the normal learning
process. Just say 'doh!', and move on. Embedded systems
programming is hard. It's a craft you learn by doing. A modicum
of patient scholarship will save you further public
embarrassment.

>You are right to suggest that some of us are
>not as familiar with the territory as others, and some compassion would
>go a long way.

Compassion is a good thing, in general. It is not the function of
this list, however.

--
Later,
Jeff