Re: [avr-gcc-list] generic queue library for AVR GCC?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] generic queue library for AVR GCC?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:30:24 -0700

David Brown wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see the addition of a "critical" function attribute,
like in mspgcc.  It is clearly readable, avoids any requirements for extra
local variables, generates optimal code, and generates any required "goto
out" automatically.  You can use it on inlined functions to avoid function
call overheads if you want.
I think that's a *great* idea!

Personally, I don't care for all the methods that have been proposed on this thread that "hide" the manipulation of SREG (various macros, etc.), because of the very reason that they can be too easily be the causes of some bad behaviour unless someone is vigilant about using them. I generally prefer to be explicit about it.

*But*, if there is a reasonable way to have the compiler enforce good behaviour, such as the "critical" function attribute proposed above, then I think that beats out all other methods.

My $0.02.

Eric