Re: [avr-gcc-list] generic queue library for AVR GCC?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] generic queue library for AVR GCC?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:33:17 -0700

address@hidden wrote:

  Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:30:24 -0700
  From: "E. Weddington" <address@hidden>
  To: David Brown <address@hidden>
  Cc: avr-gcc-list <address@hidden>

  David Brown wrote:

  >Personally, I'd like to see the addition of a "critical" function
  >attribute, like in mspgcc.  It is clearly readable, avoids any
  >requirements for extra local variables, generates optimal code,
  >and generates any required "goto out" automatically.  You can use
  >it on inlined functions to avoid function call overheads if you
  >want.

  I think that's a *great* idea!

Wouldn't that require a change to the syntax of the c language?  Not
that it's a bad idea but just don't expect to see it soon unless
someone else has already proposed it to whatever committee oversees
the language.
It's a particular GCC extension. See the GCC user manual for more info and examples:
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/Function-Attributes.html#Function-Attributes>
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/Attribute-Syntax.html#Attribute-Syntax>

Eric