Re: [avr-chat] avrdude / debugWire problems..

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avrdude / debugWire problems..
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 08:24:44 +0200 (MET DST)

Andy Warner <address@hidden> wrote:

> Besides, this
> _should_ work, and I'd like to understand why it does not.

It would be interesting to see whether AVR Studio could make it work
or not, for a comparison.

The only idea I've got is that somehow, the target circuitry encouters
a power cycle after the first invocation of AVRDUDE.  This situation
is typical for users of an AVR Dragon who use the Dragon as the power
supply for their target (upon the first "good-bye", the Dragon
disconnects from the USB, which makes the target power disappear).
I've never heard or seen that for a genuine JTAGICEmkII though.

However, I think there are patches floating around which are supposed
to make AVRDUDE continue immediately, without the "good-bye" - "hello"
cycle to the ICE.  It would be interesting to see whether this method
remedies your situation, too.