Re: [avr-chat] cheap DIY programming cables: anything on USB ?

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] cheap DIY programming cables: anything on USB ?
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:52:43 -0500

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
... French generally speaking, don't make
verbs out of words like this ...

Yes, I know. It is my understanding that French, like many languages, is "prescriptive" in that there is an organization (L'Académie française) that considers itself responsible for prescribing what is and what isn't in the French language. English, by contrast, is a "descriptive" language. There is no such organization. To find out what is and what isn't English, you have to go out and discover what "good" users of the language are saying and writing. This, incredibly, is exactly how the Oxford English Dictionary was created, why it took so long to produce and why it is stuffed full of quotations (sources). It is also probably why English has the most words, by far, of any language on the planet (400,000?).

And:
Ah, I see I am not the only one in Europe having
problems sourcing this Dragon ! Honestly I don't
understand why Electronic retailers, charge us for
importing it ...

Maybe it has something to do with EU regulations. The AVR line is very popular in Australia and New Zealand and I have a lot of customers there but none have written about problems acquiring parts and equipment. The difficulty in Europe is especially perplexing considering where the AVR architecture originated and where it is supported.

Graham.