Re: RFE: macro for warning at configure-time if CFLAGS includes -Werror

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: RFE: macro for warning at configure-time if CFLAGS includes -Werror
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:33:25 -0600

On 09/19/2012 04:18 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> Huh?  Filtering _would_ fix the original problem of getting wrong
>> configure results under -Werror, because -Werror wouldn't be used during
>> configure.  It's just a question of whether it is safe to filter by
>> default, or whether filtering is enough of a change to require a
>> one-line addition to configure.ac explicitly requesting the filtering.
>
> My point is that a "normal configure" uses whatever is the default,
> and will always use the default.
>
> That is the common case, and any fancy warning and -Werror handling in
> confiugre.ac is a special case.

Those are special cases that _I, as configure.ac author,_ get to choose
whether they should happen.  If I know that -Werror filtering won't
impact my package, then I add one line to my configure.ac, and then 10
years from now, when the user first tries './configure CFLAGS=-Werror',
the default _for my package_ already handles it sanely.

It's just that I don't know whether _autoconf_ can enforce filtering on
ALL packages, or whether -Werror handling has to be an opt-in decision
by individual package authors.  Either way, once filtering is enabled
for my package, then people will quit coming to me when they attempt to
configure my package with -Werror.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266