Re: RFE: macro for warning at configure-time if CFLAGS includes -Werror

From: Adrian Bunk
Subject: Re: RFE: macro for warning at configure-time if CFLAGS includes -Werror
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 01:18:50 +0300

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 04:06:08PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 09/19/2012 04:02 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >>
> >> Always filtering seems a bit too strong - I think that filtering -Werror
> >> requires at least some request from the configure.ac writer that
> >> filtering -Werror is intended.
> >
> > But that wouldn't fix your original problem where a normal configure
> > had wrong test results with -Werror.
>
> Huh?  Filtering _would_ fix the original problem of getting wrong
> configure results under -Werror, because -Werror wouldn't be used during
> configure.  It's just a question of whether it is safe to filter by
> default, or whether filtering is enough of a change to require a
> one-line addition to configure.ac explicitly requesting the filtering.

My point is that a "normal configure" uses whatever is the default,
and will always use the default.

That is the common case, and any fancy warning and -Werror handling in
confiugre.ac is a special case.

And if the default is not to filter, chances are that the person whom
you helped debugging would still have come to you with the same problem
if he'd had tried the -Werror in 10 years for the first time.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed