Re: autotest

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: autotest
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 11:17:00 +0200

Hello Rikki,

* Rikki Duncan wrote on Thu, May 22, 2008 at 07:20:30PM CEST:

> Is there a way to make your testsuite automatically find the
> executable you are trying to run without putting the path directly in
> .at?

Use AUTOTEST_PATH as described in
<http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/testsuite-Invocation.html>

> Also is there a way to make autotest find the program you just built
> without doing a make install before a make check?

Yes, see above.

> Or do you have to do a make install before the make check no matter
> what?

No, that would be a bad thing to do.

> And my last question is, what is the difference between AC_CHECK and
> AT_TESTED when it comes to environment variables?  It appears that
> AT_TESTED does not accept environment variables or I might be making a
> false assumption. Can anyone explain how these to variables operate
> and how they work with environment variables?

IMVHO AT_TESTED is not very well designed.  It only accepts plain
executable names, no environment variables, and causes the testsuite to
unconditionally exit if the programs fail or do not exist.  This makes
them suitable only for uninstalled programs that are created
unconditionally, and for which AUTOTEST_PATH has been set appropriately.

AT_CHECK is much more flexible in this regard, but you can use it inside
a test group only, not in the header of the testsuite; this means, if
your users run only a subset of tests, your check may not be executed
(which may or may not be a good thing, it's just something to be
considered).

Hope that helps.