Re: AC_LIBTOOL_CXX

From: Vaclav Barta
Subject: Re: AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 19:02:57 +0100

Ossama Othman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 08:48:07PM +0100, Vaclav Barta wrote:
> > Stephen Torri wrote:
> > > CC="$CXX"
> > > AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
> > > AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
> > > LIBTOOL="$LIBTOOL --tag=CXX"
> > >
> > > Are these calls still necessary to make libtool work with > > Well, they
> > > sure seem rather dodgy to me... but then, so does
> Not really.  The above code was written when the libtool MLB
I really don't like conflating the C and C++ compilers - I guess
practically every C++ compiler is also a C compiler, but it may
very well require explicit switches to force the language (i.e.
Visual C++ compiles *.C as C by default), and settings like
CC="$CXX" will just confuse the hell of some poor maintainer
trying to get ACE compiled on a new platform... I've been doing
just that for the last couple of weeks (not using autoconf, though
- "configure in ACE is still experimental") - it's not fun...

> branch was first formed.  I know because I worked on both the
> above code and the MLB branch when it was first formed.  :-)
> MLB used to need something like the above to select the C++
I'm not saying it wasn't needed - I'm just saying it's a hack and
a bug waiting to happen.

> > For my C++ (but not very cross-platform) library (with
> > autoconf 2.13 / automake 1.4 / libtoolize 1.3.4), I use
> >       AC_PROG_CXX
> >       AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> I'm assuming that this only works with GNU C++, not other C++
> compilers since libtool 1.3.4 did not have good support for C++.
Well, your assumption is probably correct - I didn't try... As I
said, my projects really aren't all that portable...

> Again, you're hosed if you try to use an old version libtool
> with a C++ compiler other than GNU C++.
Well, I won't upgrade until somebody complaints that they can't
compile my program, *and* puts some work into testing my improvements.
I'm not holding my breadth. :-)

        Bye
                Vasek