Re: AC_LIBTOOL_CXX

From: Vaclav Barta
Subject: Re: AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 20:48:07 +0100

Stephen Torri wrote:
> I am working on the configure.in file for the ACE+TAO library
> which is written in C++. Since its a C++ library the developers
> are using libtool. As part of the configure file is the
> following used to make libtool work
> with g++:
>
> CC="$CXX"
> AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
> AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
> LIBTOOL="$LIBTOOL --tag=CXX"
>
> Are these calls still necessary to make libtool work with g++?
> I'm using autoconf (v 2.52), automake (v 1.4) and libtool
> (1.3.5).
Well, they sure seem rather dodgy to me... but then, so does
the whole autoconf / automake / libtool / what did I forget?...
For my C++ (but not very cross-platform) library (with autoconf
2.13 / automake 1.4 / libtoolize 1.3.4), I use
        AC_PROG_CXX
        AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
but I'd rather expect the automake workaround (whatever it is) to
be broken by the new and improved autoconf... YMMV

> Also I am receiving the following error:
>
> configure.in:385: error: possibly undefined macro:
> AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
I'd try to remove it and see what happens (of course it can
break something silently, but well, that's what the users will
test)... I'm not using AC_LIBTOOL_CXX and I've never missed
it... :-)

        Bye
                Vasek