Re: Indenting the code written in square brackets as optional parameters

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Indenting the code written in square brackets as optional parameters
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 19:34:03 +0100

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

> (Or are you thinking to disable indents for only square brackets
> inside math mode?)

Sorry if my last message was cryptic.  This is exactly what I meant: the
brackets.  We have a working setup for the braces which we don't want to
touch.

> Do you mean that users who want to use unbalanced brackets within
> regular texts should define and use those \textbracketleft and
> \textbracketright?

Yes, this would be a sort of remedy if users enable the indentation of
brackets via a t.b.d. variable and then run into trouble.  We can put
such a solution in the manual for that case.

> That would be tedious for ordinary users, so they wouldn't like to
> follow such new regulation...

Well, there is no such thing as a free lunch ;-)  If I enable the
indentation for brackets, there might be side effects.

> Unlike my patch, yours counts commented braces, which changes the
> current AUCTeX behavior. I'm a bit afraid that breaks indentation in
> other contexts. (Hmm, but such cases must be rather rare, so it wouldn't
> matter much?)

I agree, we shouldn't change the current behavior big time.

Best, Arash