Re: Convert the svg files to pdf/eps for a project automatically.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Convert the svg files to pdf/eps for a project automatically.
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 08:39:31 +0800

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 2:18 AM Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 4:22 PM Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> wrote:
> >>
> >>     2. Usage of package svg
> >>
> >>     The purpose of this package is to include standalone SVG graphics into
> >>     a LaTeX document.  The command \includesvg is defined which does all
> >>     necessary steps for this task. It first launches the export of a SVG
> >>     file to a supported file format with Inkscape, if necessary, and
> >>     includes the exported graphic file afterwards.
> >
> > If so, this step will also generate the supported file format by
> > LaTeX, then all subsequent jobs will be done by graphicx package
> > normally. So, I suspect that the svg package will invoke the graphicx
> > package with the above command internally after the supported file
> > formats have been generated correctly. If this is the logic used by
> > the above command of svg package, then I can't see we need much job
> > for writing something like graphicx.el for svg package, I mean, once
> > the supported file formats has been exported with inkscape, all
> > subsequent workflows, in essential, will be done by other packages.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand your text above.  For me the case is easy:
> If you want to include a svg into your .tex file, you either transform
> the svg file into a format which LaTeX understand (e.g. .pdf) in advance
> and use \includegraphics to include it (i.e. \includegraphics{pdf-file})
> or use the svg package and the command \includesvg
> (i.e. \includesvg{svg-file}) which does the transformation on the fly
> and in background and includes the file format which is understood by
> LaTeX.

This is exactly what I want to express. But unlike graphicx package,
which support so many graphic file formats, so I also realized another
point which may bring some inconveniences: we must keep in mind that
which graphic files are supplied with svg format when we're writing
the document.

> >> From user's POV, the package svg is relevant and should be supported
> >> by AUCTeX. Support for svg-extract would be bonus points :-)
> >
> > OK. But what should we want to do with a svg.el for this case?
>
> svg.el would provide AUCTeX support for the command \includsvg including
> key-val support for the optional argument, completion for svg files when
> reading the mandatory argument, package options when inserting the
> \usepackage macro etc.  This is what other AUCTeX style files do
> (mostly).

Got it.

Best, Hongyi