Re: preview-environment: No enclosing outer environment found

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: preview-environment: No enclosing outer environment found
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 22:41:12 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> You can preview $...$ just fine, you just don't get to call it an
>> environment.
>
> Yes, you are right.  C-c C-p C-p on the example works with $...$.
>
>> C-c C-p C-p inside of an already existing (but edited) preview would
>> just use the already established boundaries I think.  Assuming that I
>> remember this detail correctly.
>
> Most probably you do.  The "problem" with C-c C-p C-p might be that if
> you have a large document with no existing previews and then call it,
> it'll generate previews for the complete buffer because the region it
> considers extends forwards and backwards to the next preview.  But you
> can mark the region $...$ manually and then C-c C-p C-p.

It needs to be pointed out that you can mark the region sloppily by
including more than necessary.  Like using C-x C-p for marking the
current page (assuming that it's balanced with regard to previewable
constructs).

> That's completely alright but justifies the usage of C-c C-p C-e when
> you just want to preview a single environment which then needs to be
> just that, an environment.

It's also worth pointing out that previewing the whole document tends to
be a lot less painful than one would think it to be.  preview-latex is
old software from a time when computers were running an order of
magnitude slower.

--
David Kastrup