Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 21:08:51 +0100

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 18:29:42 +0100 Joost Kremers <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 06:07:17PM +0100, Stephen Berman wrote:
>> Emacs can correctly display composed characters, and I want to use such
>> characters in a LaTeX source file but when I run the latter through
>> pdflatex, the PDF output display is wrong.
>
> If you have Unicode input files, usually the best thing to do is to
> use XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX to process your files. pdflatex groks a subset
> of Unicode with the inputenc package, but it's only a subset. IME
> XeLaTeX does a much better job, even though it's claimed to be
> slower. (I never use pdflatex, so I can't really compare).
>
> If for some reason you need or want to use pdflatex, then I doubt
> there's a solution.

Thanks.  I ran it through XeLaTeX and that indeed output the composed
character correctly aligned, though the vertical positioning looks worse
to me than with pdflatex (see attached screenshots; text0.pdf is with
pdflatex and text1.pdf with xelatex).

Also, to make this AUCTeX-related, after setting LaTeX-command to
xelatex and typing C-c C-c in the test1.tex buffer, the compilation
failed with the uninformative message "LaTeX: problems after [0] pages"
and no log output.  But running xelatex from the shell worked fine.  Is
there something else necessary to use XeLaTeX in AUCTeX?

Steve Berman