Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 18:58:02 +0100

Le 08/11/2018 à 18:45, jfbu a écrit :
Le 08/11/2018 à 18:07, Stephen Berman a écrit :
I have a file containing such composed characters that I've imported to
a LaTeX file but in the output of pdflatex, the circumflex is displayed
over the character following the one it is composed with, e.g., the
sequence 'b^a' (where '^' means U+0302, the combining circumflex accent)
is displayed in Emacs with the circumflex over 'b' but in the PDF output
the circumflex is over 'a'.

Hi

I wanted to test your problem but I have another issue, which is that
typing

'xb M-x 8 <RET> 302 <RET>ac'

the 'a' gets superimposed on top of the b in my Emacs buffer:

(see attached image)

As per your issue, it is going to be very hard in LaTeX to get the accent on
top of previous letter. (I think, but my knowledge of Unicode is scarce). With
LuaLaTeX that could be possible.

If really the combining accent is supposedly typed *after*  the letter (which
sounds strange to me, but again, I am no Unicode-guy).

Ok, I learned since that's way.

As per your original question

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/79333/is-there-a-way-to-get-pdflatex-to-accept-unicode-combining-accents

has a comment by D. Carlisle who said in 2012: I think the answer is "No".

A further comment by the same, when asked about "peek at previous character"

yes but you can't go back, you can in simple case write a macro that parses the
entire text stream re-ordering tokens when it sees a combining character, but
it would be very fragile and likely break most other package commands. If your
accented letters are single characters in Unicode form NFC then normalising the
input before passing to TeX will be a lot more robust.

(quote from D. C.)

The available answer recommends using Perl to malax the file and normalize the
Unicode characters.

Jean-François