aspell-user

[Aspell-user] Using aspell programmatically

From: John P. Hartmann
Subject: [Aspell-user] Using aspell programmatically
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 12:45:31 +0200

On 8 May 2010 00:20, Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> wrote:
> use them unless you use the C ABI.  Basically if you add "foo-bar" and then
> have "foo-bar" in a document Aspell will still check for "foo" and "bar" and
> never "foo-bar", but if you use the aspell_speller_check or
> aspell_speller_suggest things will work as expected.

Right, I am using the C API.   And I guess I did as you describe
simply by ignoring hyphens.  But when I add a hyphenated word by
aspell_speller_add_to_personal, I get this error

The word "built-in" is invalid. The character '-' (U+2D) may not
appear in the middle of a word.

>> About pushing/popping private word lists:
>
> You lost me.

Can't have that!

A script file (as they are called) can imbed other files that can
imbed yet other files and so on.

For each imbedded script file, I can have an addenda file that
contains words that are considered valid within the script file, but
not elsewhere.  Macro keywords, for example.

Thus, I would like to add a number of words to the personal list for
the duration of an imbedded file and then remove them again.  If there
were an opposite to aspell_speller_add_to_personal, I could run the
words through that, but there isn't.  A push/pop facility seems to be
what supports my requirement best.  That is, words added after a push
are all removed by the matching pop.

Right now, words added dynamically stays in the dictionary for the
duration and can thus mask errors in the rest of the document.

That said, however, I should also thank you for aspell and the API.
I've been spell-check challenged ever since I moved the script files
to the workstation.  The aspell PAI is an enormous help and I already
use it productively.

  j.