aspell-user

Re: [Aspell-user] Using aspell programmatically

From: John P. Hartmann
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Using aspell programmatically
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:34:59 +0200

On 4 May 2010 23:29, Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Did you install the English dictionary?  You need to do that, even if you
> don't plan to use it as Aspell needs the language data files.

My bad.  I downloaded it.  I could have sworn that I looked for any
kind of instructions, but obviously not.

Pity about not being able to take words out again.  I can see that you
can clone.

So I did

j /home/john/aspell: aspell --lang en create master . < wordlist
Warning: The word "people-power" is invalid. The character '-' (U+2D)
may not appear in the middle of a word. Skipping word.
Unhandled Error: The file "/home/john/aspell/dicts/." can not be
opened for writing.
Aborted (core dumped)

Writing on top of a directory is, of course, frowned upon in most circles.

j /home/john/aspell: aspell --lang en create master ./private < wordlist
Warning: The word "people-power" is invalid. The character '-' (U+2D)
may not appear in the middle of a word. Skipping word.

So how do I enter double-barrel words into a dictionary?  I guess the
answer is, one doesn't.

j /home/john/aspell: echo CCW|aspell list
Error: The file "/home/john/aspell/private" is not in the proper format.

od -c -tx1:

0000000   a   s   p   e   l   l       d   e   f   a   u   l   t       s
        61 73 70 65 6c 6c 20 64 65 66 61 75 6c 74 20 73
0000020   p   e   l   l   e   r       r   o   w   l       1   .   1   0
        70 65 6c 6c 65 72 20 72 6f 77 6c 20 31 2e 31 30

Guess I messed up again.  Now what?

Thanks,

   j.