Re: [Adonthell-devel] Changing code to support a MMORPG.

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Changing code to support a MMORPG.
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:43:01 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 14.01.04 um 16:12 Uhr schrieb Daniel Millington:

Hello Daniel!

Hello all, Im new here and I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I was wondering if it would be "okay" if after you guys add in alot more features, so as that the engine will be almost complete, if I could morph the engine code to support a MMORPG?

Sure. That's what the GPL is all about, isn't it? :-) So feel free!

Mainly im asking ,because if the engine was meant to be single player only(ethics wize), I wouldn't want to mess that up.

Well, we had thought about multiplayer, although perhaps more like a cooperative mode for a few players only. I.e. each player takes over a party member. The problem is, the plots we're currently thinking about are not neccassarily tailored for that kind of gameplay. If multiple players cooperate, it should probably be shorter episodes that also take into account that the party can be easily split, etc ...

Anyway, that's stuff for the future ...

Also I'll try to help out if at all possible with development. I'm fluent in x86 Asm(Hence my name ;p), C/C++, Java, and Python. I love the engine already, it reminds me of final fantasy. Keep up the good work guys and I'll try to add in some stuff.

Thanks. Any help you can provide is very welcome. Right now we're about to recreate most of the engine, so we can safely add new stuff. So if you want, have a look at the current v0.4 code (not much there yet):
   http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/development/cvs.shtml
and at some of the recent documentation. Also not that much yet:
   http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/development/doc_cvs.shtml

There is also sort of a todo list I wrote a little earlier:
http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2003-11/ msg00001.html

If you find something interesting enough to take care of, please let us know. Also be sure to read http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/development/join.shtml .

Hope that's not too much for a start. If you need further information on some topic, just ask here.