Re: [Adonthell-devel] First 0.3 Windows binaries

From: cirrus
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] First 0.3 Windows binaries
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:47:15 +0000

Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> Allright, let's be a bit more serious now. Here are some details about
> the changes needed to get the Windows binaries to work.
>
> First, I haven't used to configure system (which produced too many
> trash) to compile this binary. Instead I worked in a separate directory
> with a manually written Makefile. I'll spend the next days to fix the
> building system so it supports mingw32 as well.
>
> The binary doesn't have nls support, because of (not serious) linking
> problems. This should be fixed soon though. It has full sound support
> however, and should run exactly the same way as under Linux.
>
> I had to make some changes however in order for the Python scripts to
> work:
> we had the habit of using schedules/dialogs/events names of the form
> "schedules/mapcharacters/talan", which Windows didn't like at all. Even
> replacing the '/' with '\' didn't fix, and reading the doc I learnt is
> wasn't exactly the way to do. So I switched our scripts directories into
> a Python package structure, which allows us to use
> "schedules.mapcharacters.talan" instead, on both systems. In practise, I
> just had to add an empty __init__.py file in each directory that is a
> package. See the Python tutorial for more details. Because of this, I
> had to move the "events" directory into "game_events" because we also
> have an "event" module, which was ambiguous with it.
>
> So I've changed the C++ source files to work with it, as well as Python
> scripts that need to change schedules. Note that some dialogues have
> been changed: demo_intro_1, jelom_start and extro.
>
> Also, it looked like the extro didn't work anymore. Actually it appeared
> that the credits were not well displayed, because the gettext markers
> were
>
> _(("text", 1))
>
> instead of
>
> (_("text"), 1)
>
> so I've fixed this as well. I'venoticed that we use two kinds of
> markers, _N and _, is it normal Kai?
>
> Ah, also, the character portraits doesn't change dynamically like
> before, in dialogs like Erek ones. I guess this is a bug with the new
> dialog system.
>
> Ah, something else: weren't the Savannah guys supposed to move waste's
> edge CVS to Savannah?
>
> I guess that's about all. I just hope it will work as fine for you. Have
> fun! :)
> Alex.

Just a small question... The windows binary has everything it needs
inside it, right? I mean, you don't need SDL, Python etc installed on
windows to play the game? Is it possible to make a package like that for
*nix? I know it's not usual but if the normal binaries and sources are
available I don't see a problem in making a self-sufficient version like
that for newbies.

        -James

--
  /    / /__/ /__/ /  / /__                 Reg. Linux User #148821