Re: [Adonthell-devel] New dialogue engine committed

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] New dialogue engine committed
Date: 12 Apr 2002 22:56:22 +0200

> Okay, finally the dialogue engine and compiler are far enough to
> run/compile the first two dialogues without problems. That's no
> guarantee that all dialogues will work, but it's a good start at least.

Tested it, it works just fine. Great job! :)

... excepted when Talan lets me in, I get (was inspired to compile
Python debugging in :))

Error in statement
  self.the_npc.set_dialogue ("dialogues/talan_start")
  exceptions.TypeError:
    'eval() argument 2 must be dictionary, not int'

It can't set the new dialog, I still get the old one if I talk to Talan
again. I wasn't able to figure out what's wrong. Note that I replaced my
adonthell.pyc module with the new one generated by make.

> If you want to test the new i18n feature, you might want to translate
> part of a dialogue. Extract the strings with the pygettext.py script,
> translate the them and create the binary message catalogue with the
> msgfmt tool. Then rename it to wastesedge.mo and copy it to

I'd love to test it, but where do I find pygettest.py?

> /usr/local/share/locale/<your language>/LC_MESSAGES/. For later, we
> should be able to determine the directory where the catalogue goes at
> runtime. Right now it's compiled in.

I suppose they should go into the game data dir - <gamedatadir>/po makes
sense to me. Relying on the classic system where catalog goes into
/usr/share/locale could make problems with non-unix platforms.

> Okay, that's it! If there are any questions or problems, please let me
> know. Otherwise enjoy!

Did I mention it was great work? ;)

Alex.
--