Re: [Adonthell-devel] New dialogue engine committed

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] New dialogue engine committed
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:21:47 +0200

On 12 Apr 2002 22:56:22 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Okay, finally the dialogue engine and compiler are far enough to
> > run/compile the first two dialogues without problems. That's no
> > guarantee that all dialogues will work, but it's a good start at
> > least.
>
> Tested it, it works just fine. Great job! :)
>
> ... excepted when Talan lets me in, I get (was inspired to compile
> Python debugging in :))
>
> Error in statement
>   self.the_npc.set_dialogue ("dialogues/talan_start")
>   exceptions.TypeError:
>     'eval() argument 2 must be dictionary, not int'

Heh, that has nothing to do with python debugging :). The new dialogue
engine executes most user defined code in a try block. And I problably
know what is wrong too. I didn't bother to test the first dialogue after
that was working, but when I made some fixes to get the second to
function properly I forgot to update the first.

Open demo_intro_1.py, find the __init__ method and add the line:
    self.namespace = globals ()

That'll fix it.

> I'd love to test it, but where do I find pygettest.py?

With the python source distribution, or directly from their CVS:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/python/dist/src/Tools/i18n/

 > I suppose they should go into the game data dir - <gamedatadir>/po
> makes sense to me. Relying on the classic system where catalog goes
> into/usr/share/locale could make problems with non-unix platforms.

Yeah, that would make sense. That way, figuring the directory out at
runtime will be easy as well. I'll do that tomorrow.