Re: [Adonthell-devel] How client/server deals with maps

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] How client/server deals with maps
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:52:00 +0100

> > Is it possible for me to be involved in the development of the new
> > mapengine?

Sure :). You're welcome!

> > If so, then what parts of the current mapengine will be reused?  (so i
> > can familiarize myself with them).

Stuff like the event system and the python scripting will possibly be reused,
maybe with some improvements and adaptions to the client/server model. That
part doesn't interfere with Alex, I guess.

> > Also where would I be of use to you, I can help anywhere, just let me
> > know. :)

Well, v0.4 should contain the pretty much final version of the mapengine, the
client/server stuff, improved saving/loading, basic items, inventory and
combat. Feel free to lend a hand wherever you like.

> > I Played the game a fair amount yesterday and was quite impressed,
> > although I couldn't get very far, I'm assuming that's because you
> > _can't_ get very far?
>
> Exact :) Note that the dialogues are huge enough to have fun for a
> little hour, I'd say. Our writers (as well as the dialog engine
> programmer ;)) have done a damn good work for this, I rarely saw such
> variable and addicting dialogs in a game!

Uh, thanks Alex :). Usually, console style RPG's are somewhat limited when it
comes to NPC interaction - at least the few I played so far. If you're used
to games like Ultima 7, Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment it's nothing
special. ;)

As for getting far in the game, there are two important bits missing yet,
both in Silverhair's dialogue. Once that is complete, you should be able to
play from start to finish.