Re: [Adonthell-devel] How client/server deals with maps

From: Lakin Wecker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] How client/server deals with maps
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:21:38 -0700

Kai Sterker wrote:

Alexandre Courbot wrote

The fact the client knows the entire map doesn't mean it is of any use
at all: others stuff, like characters positions, objects status
(opened/closed door for example) are still controlled by the server
which sends to the client only what it strictly needs to know to display
it's part of the map. If you think about it, all the games (Quake III
comes to mind) stores the maps on the clients too. I don't think this is
a cheating issue.

What do you think?

Sounds sensible to me. That would make some things much easier, and as you
say, it isn't that much of a problem.

Kai

Again, this all depends on whether the map is important. If there is sometime where the character has to find something on the map, then they could just start a map editor session find it, then start playing the game again, But if that's not the case then this is a fine idea.
lakin