Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: Fwd: Winboard Source missing sounds folder

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: Fwd: Winboard Source missing sounds folder
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 10:04:18 -0800

Hi

On 12/13/2009 08:45 AM, Eric Mullins wrote:
>[...]
> The tarball at the above link is missing the sound directory and
> therefore doesn't compile winboard.

ok. I fixed this now...

> [...]
> Working outside git is not recommended.  I don't know how we end up with
> packaging errors since the tarballs at git are always correct.

The preferred way to create the tar-ball is to use "make dist" or "make
distcheck" which adds for example a configure script and documentation,
so I'm using this (got a lot of complaints after using the git tar-ball
;)). The problem is that you have to say in Makefile.am what to include
and I missed a few things in the past (the window source and the sound
directory)

> One other thing-- it is advisable to create parser.c any time parser.l
> changes.  I noticed that one reason a recent build (directly from git)
> failed was because parser.c was not up to date, and so flex was
> required.  This situation is only going to cause trouble for people
> trying to build xboard themselves.  Best to make sure the parser.c in
> the winboard directory is always up to date (in particular, wrt
> timestamp) so that make will not try to generate it from parser.l.

Xboard/parser.c is in not in git and always needs to be generated. Not
sure about the parser.c in the  winboard directory, perhaps HGM can tell
us if winboard can use the same as xboard... I'll put it on my list of
things to check before a release though. Thanks for pointing it out.

ARUN