[XBoard-devel] Re: Fwd: Winboard Source missing sounds folder

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Re: Fwd: Winboard Source missing sounds folder
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:45:22 -0700

Arun Persaud wrote:
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Winboard Source missing sounds folder
Date:   Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:34:11 -0800 (PST)
From:   A Scott <address@hidden>
To:     address@hidden

Hello,

The 4.4.2 source files at this link are the ones missing the sounds
folder.Winboard wouldn't compile until the folder was added.

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/xboard

A. Scott

I got this email a few days ago, but from your latest email on the
xboard-list I gather that building winboard worked fine? Can you confirm
this?

The tarball at the above link is missing the sound directory and therefore doesn't compile winboard.

Just had a look at the tar-ball and it seems like the sounds directory
is missing, so how did you compile it? :)

I was responding to someone's problem with 4.4.1 and d/l that tarball which must have had that dir from this page:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/xboard.git/

And BTW, the tarball for 4.4.2 from that page *does* include the sounds subdir.

Working outside git is not recommended. I don't know how we end up with packaging errors since the tarballs at git are always correct.

One other thing-- it is advisable to create parser.c any time parser.l changes. I noticed that one reason a recent build (directly from git) failed was because parser.c was not up to date, and so flex was required. This situation is only going to cause trouble for people trying to build xboard themselves. Best to make sure the parser.c in the winboard directory is always up to date (in particular, wrt timestamp) so that make will not try to generate it from parser.l.