websec-users

Re: [WebSec-users] Privoxy / WebSec

From: Baruch Even
Subject: Re: [WebSec-users] Privoxy / WebSec
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:40:11 +0300

* David Bullock <address@hidden> [030626 23:25]:
> I have a problem I was wrestling with lastnight and didn't get very
> far.  I'm trying to run websec v1.7.0 through privoxy
> <http://www.privoxy.org/> . Privoxy is a fork of Junkbuster.  I'm using
> the filtering rules in Privoxy to eliminate not just ads, but some of
> the noise in various pages I visit.    Unfortunately when I setup the
> proxy, websec tells me that it can't retrieve the pages.  Does anyone
> else have this combination working?

I've tried to run websec with the local proxy I have (wwwoffle) and it
works fine.

In order to debug this I could use some more information:
1. Please provide the exact output that websec outputs when it fails.
2. Can you provide the full network dump? this is a bit of a privacy
issue, so you'll need to trust me.

To provide the network dump you should use tcpdump with the command:
tcpdump -s 0 -w websec.dump -i lo port 8080

Ofcourse if the proxy is on another port than 8080 you should change the
number, if the proxy is not on your own computer, you should change the
interface from lo to your network interface, usually eth0 or ppp0.

Baruch