websec-users

Re: [WebSec-users] Privoxy / WebSec

From: Baruch Even
Subject: Re: [WebSec-users] Privoxy / WebSec
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:31:38 +0300

* David Bullock <address@hidden> [030626 23:25]:
> Wow that was great -  if one of you guys could show me how to generate a
> patch I'd be happy to do it myself if I ever come up with something
> useful again.

Generating a patch (actually a diff) is very simple. You can diff a
single file or a whole directory.

For a single file you can do it by taking the original file before
modification and rename it for example from 'websec' to 'websec.orig',
and then run the command:
diff -u websec.orig websec

The order is important, you want to see changes that lead from the
original file to the new file. -u is my preference for patches, this is
the unified diff format, it provides context around the change and is
more readble in my opinion.

If you want to diff a whole directory, which is useful if you changed
multiple files, you do it similarly, by having the original directory
named websec.orig and the modified one named websec and run the command:
diff -Nru websec.orig websec

-N will show added files
-r will recurse through directories
and -u is the unified diff.

That's all there is to it.

You can read: man diff & man patch to learn more about these useful
utilities.

Baruch