Re: [vile] vile-9.7q.patch.gz

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.7q.patch.gz
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 05:59:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 27 May 2009, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

Hello!

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 08:50:00AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Tue, 26 May 2009, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
So, this might explain why my .vilerc is not read anymore, it is mode
664 as are many config files in my homedir.  I'm wondering, where
can this trace be seen, I get no errors/warnings?

setting mine to 664, then

        :set popup-msgs
        :source .vilerc

gives

[Skipping '.vilerc' (insecure permissions)]
[Skipping '/home/dickey/.vilerc' (insecure permissions)]
[No such file ".vilerc"]

Yes, the problem is that I can set popup-msgs in my .vilerc, but it
is never reached because it's mode 664 and therefore ignored.
So we seem to have a cyclic issue here.

I see. Is there a good reason for making dot-files 0664? (I don't do that of course; I do recall some pre-configured accounts setting umask of 002, though it's easy to find opinions against that).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net