Re: [Texmacs-dev] Remote server

From: Felix Breuer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Remote server
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:59:54 +0200

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 18:58 +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 06:50:13PM +0200, Felix Breuer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 13:20 +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I made a security fix in the new distribution, which necessitates
> > > the creation of a new account on the TeXmacs server (for those who
> > > did so). Sorry for the inconvenience. I also added a little sound
> > > for notifying that someone sent a new message after a long absence.
> >
> > TeXmacs 1.0.6.3 crashes about 1 second after launch. Console output:
> >
> >   cannot handle file 'libc.so.6' with TLS data
> >
> > I am getting the same crash in 1.0.6.2 when I select
> >
> >   Tools->Remote->Login->New Account...
> >
> > but 1.0.6.2 works fine otherwise. I am running Ubuntu 6.06.
>
> Hmm, this is really weird; anyone else experiences a similar bug?

The problem bit me using the statically linked binary version of 1.0.6.3
distributed on the website. I have tried running that one not only under
Ubuntu but also under a Gentoo-based LiveCD and on a completely
different Linux installation. I always got the same crash.

However, compiling 1.0.6.3 from source I got a warning
during ./configure that "guile cannot be linked statically". As I was
heading for a dynamically linked binary I kept going and the result
works just fine (no crash).

I do not know whether there is some way to link 1.0.6.3 statically
against guile. In any case, the binary version on the website should be
replaced, because I suspect that it will not work on most Linux
platforms.

Regards,
Felix