Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server / filesystem

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server / filesystem
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:23:21 +0200

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 07:18:35PM +0200, Felix Breuer wrote:
> > I mainly intend to implement what is necessary for myself in order to
> > manage my own articles. This includes version control, hyperlinking and
> > some simple facilities for searching.
>
> Version control alone would be a very interesting feature. How do you
> plan to implement that? In particular, how do you plan to store the
> different revisions of a given document? As version-tagged copies of the
> entire file or as a set of diffs?
>
> Do you plan to implement a diffing mechanism that is aware of texmacs'
> trees? I found this the biggest drawback of using standard version
> control software with texmacs documents: that they treat the documents
> as plain text files instead of structured trees.

At a first time, I plan to keep things very simple and just implement
version-tagged copies of the entire files without any diff stuff.
Later, I plan to implement more fine-grained structured diff-tools.

> If the server is written in scheme, is there a set of scheme files I
> could include in my own scheme program to modify the tree of a document
> hosted by a texmacs server?

Since we store version-tagged copies of the entire files,
you will just be able to replace entire trees for the time being.