Re: [Texmacs-dev] Remote server

From: Felix Breuer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Remote server
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:43:39 +0200

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 11:01 +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:59:54AM +0200, Felix Breuer wrote:
> > The problem bit me using the statically linked binary version of 1.0.6.3
> > distributed on the website. I have tried running that one not only under
> > Ubuntu but also under a Gentoo-based LiveCD and on a completely
> > different Linux installation. I always got the same crash.
> >
> > However, compiling 1.0.6.3 from source I got a warning
> > during ./configure that "guile cannot be linked statically". As I was
> > heading for a dynamically linked binary I kept going and the result
> > works just fine (no crash).
> >
> > I do not know whether there is some way to link 1.0.6.3 statically
> > against guile. In any case, the binary version on the website should be
> > replaced, because I suspect that it will not work on most Linux
> > platforms.
>
> The problem still surprises me, since *I* linked statically against Guile.
> In principle, this should precisely avoid problems of the kind you noticed.
> Could it be that TeXmacs somehow attempts to use the Guile which is
> on your system? Is there some active $GUILE_LOAD_PATH?

There is no $GUILE_LOAD_PATH on any of the systems I tested on.

I am quite puzzled myself. All I can do is make a wild guess: the
statically linked Guile tries to use the libc version on my system. My
libc is compiled with TLS support and for some reason Guile cannot
handle libc w/ TLS if it is statically linked. ./configure knows this
and issues a warning, that it won't be able to link Guile statically
(because I am running a libc w/ TLS).

Maybe your libc is compiled --without-tls? What platform are you working
on?

Felix