Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 17:51:10 +0200

Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> writes:

> 1) A chatting facility, like IRC channels (already implemented,
>    although a few improvements can still be made).
> 2) A conferencing utility: an extension of 1 with voice (and maybe video).
>    This is what would be really useful for me. Currently, it is already
>    possible to use 1 in combination with Skype (for instance),
>    but I would like something free and a bit more automatic.
>    It seems that GNU gatekeepter might help us, but this needs checking.

In both cases, wouldn't it be more reasonnable to implement those
functionalities as plugin to existing software, like Ekiga
(http://www.ekiga.org/) or an IRC client? It took years with many people
to make those software working, I doubt TeXmacs could do the same.

But maybe this is what you want to do after all, Joris, with your
"TeXmacs server": a kind of component system where one could control the
TeXmacs core (typesetting and handling of document's parts) from a
standard interface?

In that case, which kind of API are you considering? I would recommend
either a C API for easy integration with other programming languages or
a binary API over a TCP socket (e.g. ONC RPC[1] or upon BEEP[2]).

Best wishes,
d.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1831.txt

[2]  http://www.beepcore.org/

--
GPG/PGP key: A3AD7A2A David MENTRE <address@hidden>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A