Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server

From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:44:36 +0200

I have a few comments. I comment here on the collaborative server
feature and in the two next emails on translation and promoting
TeXmacs in the outside world.

== As to the link to Gobby [1] provided by David Mentre ==

I am not sure if this is what Joris wants, and in any case, Gobby, as
any other (MoonEdit, nonfree but gratis) would never compete with
TeXmacs in that there is no typesetting, let alone math.

It seems to me that Joris wants "chat", where each user is editing one
document local to him, and this is being displayed remotely. In
collaborative editors, both share the same document and each sees in
real time any edits by the other party.

This is *extremely* appealing, but I am not sure if the TeXmacs server
will be able to do this.

Personally, I would be very interested, but I acknowledge in line with
of the editor, that it would be less work and also very important to
have offline collaboration features (basically, an appropriate
stylesheet and maybe better integration with version control systems).

Á.

On 6/4/06, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 03:40:06PM +0200, Henri Lesourd wrote:
> When you say "as small as possible", you don't really
> consider the difficult problem of automatically finding
> the borders of these trees.

The user assumed to say what is the translation to what.
The problem of automatically finding what is a translation of what
is only relevant for the already existing documentation.