Re: [Texmacs-dev] page_breaker.cpp

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] page_breaker.cpp
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 15:01:46 +0200

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:00:18PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 address@hidden wrote:
> > Can someone please explain in english how the algorithm works in
> > page_breaker.cpp.  I have been reading TeXmacs code lately and it has
> > started to somewhat make sense.
> >
> > The part in page_breaker.cpp could use some documentation as there
> > seems to be a lot going on for me to understand it.
>
> Yes, this is a complex part, but, unfortunately, I do not have time
> now to dive into that again so as to give detailed explanations...

Understand that as: "it surely made sense when I wrote it, but I agree
it's a mess". Nobody really understands how that part works.

I have recently digged in that part of texmacs to fix a long-standing
bug with floating objects. It took me several days of intense
concentration, several GotIt! flashes, costed me handful of SAN points,
and eventually it turned out to be a one-line fix: removing a test which
could not possibly make sense in the light of the rest of the
page-breaking logic. Joris has "applied it": actually he commented out
the buggy line because he saw that fixed the problem but was unable to
understand what that line was meant to do in the first place.

--
                                                            -- ddaa